Tutorial: Create a Procedural Ribbon in Maya
Since I put up my rigging reel I’ve received a lot of questions and requests for a tutorial on the procedural ribbons, so I’ve finally put together a tutorial on them. When I finished the tutorial I realized that it was really slow-paced, so I’ve written a script for it also (attached at the bottom of this post). So for those of you that find it easier to figure out what’s going on by skimming through a script, you know what to do 🙂
I’m sure this technique is old news to some people, but it’s too awesome not to be shared. These ribbons actually evaluate slightly faster than the traditional ribbon-setup, which is crazy considering they’re so much more flexible. What makes this setup powerful though, is that they utilize the nonLinear deformers in Maya, which means you inherit the same flexibility as you have with deformers, so you won’t take a performance-hit as you’re just adding functionality to the already existing deformer(s). This technique could of course easily be altered to ride ontop of FK-rigs, which could be used to rig tails/tentacles/fishes etc.
The script is almost identical to the one I create in the tutorial, I’ve just added an option to offset where on the surface the twist occurs, and cleaned up the setup a bit.
7,175 total views, 4 views today
Script: Cartoony Wheel Rig v2
So, I’ve finally started to look into Python 🙂 I haven’t taken the OOP functionality into use yet, I’m just starting off by getting used to the syntax before I dive into classes and stuff. On that note, I recommend checking out Zeth Willie‘s video: The basics of using Classes and OOP in Maya/Python. That was the kick in the butt that I needed to get off the fence and try something other than MEL, quite refreshing actually!
So the first version of the Cartoony Wheel Rig looked to work ok when playing around with the rig, but when doing some actual animation I wasn’t too happy with it. There’s particularly two things that I wanted to fix in the next version, the first thing is that you were totally limited to the lattice, which means that you couldn’t hit a specific shape unless the lattice allowed for it. The second issue was that you couldn’t do big things with just one controller, I would always end up having to move/rotate three or more controllers to hit each shape, which means slower workflow.
So for this version I added the possibility to actually add blendShapes to the wheel while maintining the shape when spinning the wheel, so if the rig can’t reach that specific shape you want, you can just add it yourselves. I also got rid of the motionPath-controllers, they were a bit messy and the rotations didn’t work too well. I think this rig will work a lot better than the previous, but I’ll do some test-animations with it in a while to see how well it works.
Here’s the script in action:
This version is a bit cleaner than the first version, though it’s a bit slower because of the wrap-deformer. I’ve added an option to turn on a proxy-object through main-controller so that it evaluates a bit faster.
If you have any feedback/critique I’ll be more than happy to hear about it 🙂
1,469 total views, no views today
1,085 total views, no views today
2,452 total views, no views today